Friday, April 6, 2012

Boys Club

I've posted some before on how much I like to rock climb, but a book I've been reading has made me think about it in a bit of a different way.  The book, a collection of essays (I've been reading quite a few of those lately) is awesome in that it has a huge variety of writing.  Everything, adventure to more run of the mill from all over the world.  The thing that's bothering me is that out of 30 some essays in the book, only two are written by women.

Now, I understand that climbing is a male-dominated sport.  I'm not delusional.  But I do know that there are a lot of women climbers out there, and I'm wondering why more writings from them weren't included.  Of course there could be a myriad of reasons for this in this particular book, but it got me thinking.

Where are the women climbers!?  Pretty much all women climbers I've run into are pretty awesome people, but the representations of them to the rest of the world are practically non-existent.  The whole thing makes me want to spend every spare minute climbing the walls to catch up with the boys.  I want to scream very, very loudly, "I'm a chick and a climber!!  Come hang out with me!!"  The only problem with that is that I'm not a professional climber if-you-know-what-I-mean.  Which brings me back to the wanting to climb all the time to catch up.  It's a vicious cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment